Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Noise of Inspiration

          So, I have been asked by several people how I come with the things that I write.  I usually just shrug and say it just comes to me, it just pops in my head and I write it down.  They look at me like I'm lying, but I'm telling the truth.  I know that as a writer I should be in better touch with what inspires me, but a lot of the time, I simply don't know. 
         
          After a few times of people asking me this I started to wonder: what really does inspire me.  I'm forced to admit, I had a very hard time answering the question.  Some of my favorite stuff came to me when I was just cleaning.  Not too much inspirational about that, at least to me anyway. 

          Finally, an answer of sorts came to me, music.  Not just any song though, a select few songs that I have discovered over the years that speak to me.  These are songs that I can turn on, close my eyes, and lose myself in the melody and lyrics.  For me, those songs are few and far in between, but some of my best stuff, though not always my favorite, came to me this way.

          You may ask, what particular kind of music gets my attention?  To be honest almost any, if it reaches me the right way.  I am a huge Staind fan, and a lot of their songs rank high on my list, one in particular, but there are other songs besides those from Staind, from all genres, that I feel more than hear.  There is country, metal, rock, pop there is even a few orchestra or classical style songs that I love. 

          I have noticed one thing that many of these songs have in common.  They often have unhappy, or depressive themes, though not all.  I guess those types of songs fit my personality and writing style better than happy and upbeat tunes.  Of course, if you have read any of my work, it's pretty obvious I tend to stray to the darker side of things (no star wars pun intended). 

          No matter what the mood of the song, if it speaks to me then I am in love with it.  I can honestly say without shame, that I have been close to tears because of a song striking just that right chord within me.  I have lost hours upon hours just sitting in the dark listening to music and getting lost in what I'm hearing.  I can see the places that are being described or feel the emotion of a song.  For me that is a powerful experience that cannot be equaled.  Many songs I own, I have kept simply because of a special memory or attachment they have for me.

          So, having said that I have decided that I am going to do a little review series about my favorite songs from various genres.  If I did them all at once the post would be so long, I wouldn't want read it myself, much less ask you to.  The first one is coming soon, when it is out I will let everyone know.  Just click on the "A Scribes Reviews" tab at the top of the page and it will take you right there.

          To end this I will tell you my absolute two favorite songs right now.  The reason should be pretty self-explanatory. 

          1. Zoe Jane by Staind
          2. My Little Girl by Tim McGraw
I didn't make this pic.  I found it online, but I love it.

2 comments:

  1. I take inspiration from many things, including music. You never know when its going to hit you. Some days it is poetry, some days its just a few words of intense, momentary fiction. Often I see things out my window as I work, and they turn on the muse and ...

    Well you know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete